12.21.2009

All Things Big Sister.

"Having a sister is like having a best friend you can't get rid of. You know whatever you do, they'll still be there. " ~Amy Li


As an Only Child Mom who watches her children interact with each other every day, I find myself assisting in the negotiations of hourly battles and I have to admit that yes, I do grow tired of proposing treaty suggestions. But then there are moments like these, where I get a glimpse of what it would've been like to have a sister or a brother and I have to admit I get a little envious.

Kata's First Grade class was having a Polar Express Slumber Party at school and their super sweet teacher, Mrs. Gipe, suggested I come and help and oh, yes bring Bella along.

I was worried that Bella wouldn't behave. She is only four and a half years old but in her second year of preschool so she knows of at least some School Rules, right? Right.

I shouldn't have been stressed, Bella behaved beautifully, waiting her turn and watching patiently how all the other kids behaved. She fit right in. Kata assisted her whenever possible; showing her how to do things like, oh, make an ice cream cone into a frosting glazed candy tree.

It's these tiny little moments filled with wonder that I really need to pause and freeze in my mind when I'm telling them for the umpteenth time to "please, please, for the love of everything, put away your toys".

No comments: