5.12.2008

All Things Mama's Day.

In case you are in need of reading glasses like me these days...the caption reads -

Very early in the morning
They come pitter pattering
and thumping onto my bed...
Happy Mother's Day, Mama!
they shout, giggling and laughing
carrying their creations proudly.


It was about 7 am...that's late in our household and I was still in my jammies, definitely no make up on this face...when I was assaulted by the very creatures I've cared for all these years...they were so incredibly proud of the artwork they made for me...and I remember my mom holding on to these pieces of modern art for many years...in fact, she probably still has a few in her china cabinet, don't you, Baka?

Ken and the girls, I am sure, made certain that I, too, had an Ugly Doll. The girls love these things and mine is appropriately two sided! And my Alex, my only son, made sure his Mama had flowers...isn't the blossom gorgeous with its tissue paper center??? LOVE it!

And here they are holding up their card creations. Kata has been talking about making me a card with smiley faces and flowers for months now...and so she did. Bella drew me a monster on her card. At least, that's what she said every time we asked. And Alex he wrote me a poem stuck besides that tissue paper flower. His teacher gave them the assignment to write a poem based on your mother's favorite color. So here's his -

I Love You the Reddest

I love you the reddest like a mad angereed person

yelling in the winds.

I love you the color of the sunset in the horizon

with a reddish orange glow.

I love you the color of a rose blossoming

the color of love.

Love blowing through the breeze like a fire raging

through the forest.

A race car racing by the others

and fire is coming out of it.

That's why I love you the reddest!

So this second Sunday in May was a day originally designed to celebrate the goddesses of Spring - Isis (Egypt), Cybele (Roman) and Rhea (Greek). But in 1870, Julia Ward Howe (incidentally the woman who penned "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"), after seeing the caranage of the Civil War, turned the focus from Spring onto something much more important and still pertinent today...she declared in the Mother's Day Proclamation of 1870 - that the celebration should be one of motherhood and peace.

It's frightening to think that nothing much has changed...we still celebrate Spring, we still have wars and we still have mothers wishing for peace and the safe return of their children. Here's to World Peace.

No comments: